Sara Ferguson is an Oakland, CA. based photo archivist and photographer. She studied photography at the University of Oregon School of Fine Arts and Photographic Preservation and Collections Management in a joint Master's program between Ryerson University in Toronto and George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film in Rochester, New York.
At the University of California, Berkeley she held the position of Project Archivist for The Bancroft Library’s Pictorial Collections Stabilization Project, funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities, as well as the position of Conservation Assistant for the Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology’s Save America’s Treasures Project, funded by the The National Trust for Historic Preservation. While Digital Imaging Project Manager at Two Cat Digital in San Leandro, CA. she worked with clients including Lucasfilm, American Institute of Architects and California College of the Arts. She has managed projects as a freelance photo archivist for clients such as Anchor Brewing Company, Kaiser Permanente and Life Magazine/Magnum Photo photographer Wayne Miller. Sara is a board member of the Foundation for Photographic Preservation.
Sara has been fortunate to work with the collections of photographers such as Carleton Watkins, Dorothea Lange, Therese Bonney, Mose Cohen and Wayne Miller. As a graduate student she worked within the archives of the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona, George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film and the International Fund for Documentary Photography Archive at the Fifty Crows Foundation.
archive projects/client list
- The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley (Pictorial Collections Stabilization Project, funded by National Endowment for the Humanities)
- Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley (Save America's Treasures Project, funded by the National Trust for Historic Preservation)
- Anchor Brewing Company - San Francisco, CA
- Wayne Miller, Photographer
- Gap Inc. - San Francisco, CA
- Corbis - Seattle, WA.
- The Film Posse - Boston, MA (PBS American Experience, Silicon Valley)
- San Francisco Jewish Genealogical Society - San Francisco, CA
- Kaiser Permanente - Oakland, CA
- The Barnes Foundation - Philadelphia, PA
- Bay Crossings - San Francisco, CA
- Yale Law Library - New Haven, CT
- True Entertainment, LLC - New York City, NY (Investigation Discovery, Vanity Fair Confidential; A Crime to Remember)
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room - Oakland, CA
- Southern Poverty Law Center - Montgomery, AL
- Skokomish Nation
- Storyville Films - New York, NY (PBS, Makers: Women Who Make America)
- Chuck Gunderson, Author
- Fifty Crows Foundation - San Francisco, CA
- Lillian Sizemore, Artist and Educator
- Zero Point Zero Productions - New York City, NY (Jeremiah Tower: The Last Magnificent)
- Lynn Sherr, Author
- Partisan Pictures - New York City, NY
- Laylow Films - Brooklyn, NY (ESPN, O.J.: Made In America. Academy Award winner, Best Documentary Feature)
- Bat Bridge Entertainment - Austin, TX (CNN, The Radical Story of Patty Hearst)