Sara Ferguson is an Oakland, CA. based photo archivist and photographer. She studied photography at the University of Oregon School of Fine Arts and Photographic Preservation and Collections Management in a joint Master's program between Ryerson University in Toronto and George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film in Rochester, New York.
At the University of California, Berkeley she held the position of Project Archivist for The Bancroft Library’s Pictorial Collections Stabilization Project, funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities, as well as the position of Conservation Assistant for the Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology’s Save America’s Treasures Project, funded by the The National Trust for Historic Preservation. While Digital Imaging Project Manager at Two Cat Digital in San Leandro, CA. she worked with clients including Lucasfilm, American Institute of Architects and California College of the Arts. She has managed projects as a freelance photo archivist for clients such as Anchor Brewing Company, Kaiser Permanente and Life Magazine/Magnum Photo photographer Wayne Miller. Sara is a board member of the Foundation for Photographic Preservation.
Sara has been fortunate to work with the collections of photographers such as Carleton Watkins, Dorothea Lange, Therese Bonney, Mose Cohen and Wayne Miller. As a graduate student she worked within the archives of the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona, George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film and the International Fund for Documentary Photography Archive at the Fifty Crows Foundation.
Her personal photography has been featured in various print and online publications, as well as exhibited and sold at multiple venues in the Bay Area.
archive projects/client list
- The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley (Pictorial Collections Stabilization Project, funded by National Endowment for the Humanities)
- Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley (Save America's Treasures Project, funded by the National Trust for Historic Preservation)
- Anchor Brewing Company - San Francisco, CA
- Wayne Miller, Photographer
- Gap Inc. - San Francisco, CA
- Corbis - Seattle, WA.
- The Film Posse - Boston, MA (PBS American Experience, Silicon Valley)
- San Francisco Jewish Genealogical Society - San Francisco, CA
- Kaiser Permanente - Oakland, CA
- The Barnes Foundation - Philadelphia, PA
- Bay Crossings - San Francisco, CA
- Yale Law Library - New Haven, CT
- True Entertainment, LLC - New York City, NY (Investigation Discovery, Vanity Fair Confidential; A Crime to Remember)
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room - Oakland, CA
- Southern Poverty Law Center - Montgomery, AL
- Skokomish Nation
- Storyville Films - New York, NY (PBS, Makers: Women Who Make America)
- Chuck Gunderson, Author
- Fifty Crows Foundation - San Francisco, CA
- Lillian Sizemore, Artist and Educator
- Zero Point Zero Productions - New York City, NY (Jeremiah Tower: The Last Magnificent)
- Lynn Sherr, Author
- Partisan Pictures - New York City, NY
- Laylow Films - Brooklyn, NY (ESPN, O.J.: Made In America. Academy Award winner, Best Documentary Feature)
- Bat Bridge Entertainment - Austin, TX (CNN, The Radical Story of Patty Hearst)
Americana, Slate Contemporary - Oakland, CA.
Fraction Magazine, Issue 59
Best of Botanicals, PHOTO - Oakland, CA.
The Daguerreian Annual
FonFoto, Petaluma Art Center - Petaluma, CA
Exhibition Journal of Visual and Literary Arts
The American Guide
The Art Photo Index
Home: Shelter and Habitat in Contemporary Art, Bedford Gallery - Walnut Creek, CA
Collector Art Shop - Berkeley, CA
Lot 49 - Oakland, CA
Bells and Whistles - Oakland, CA
MacMillan Publishing - The Utopia Experiment by Dylan Evans, cover
BAC Artists Annual Exhibition, Berkeley Art Center - Berkeley, CA
Anyon Atelier - San Francisco, CA
Medium Plenty Architecture and Interior Design - Oakland, CA
Calmann-Lévy - Miss Cyclone by Laurence Peyrin, cover
Luchterhand Literaturverlag - Rock, Paper, Scissors by Naja Marie Aidt, cover
Taft-Nicholson Center for Environmental Humanities Artist in Residence - Centennial Valley, Montana